Friday, July 08, 2011

Thank You. Have A Great Weekend. Be Careful!

Life is full of dangers, frail one! Live in fear!
Scruffy and I went out to lunch last week. While standing in line, the guy in front of me was talking to the lady behind the counter.

"Thank you," he said as she handed over his soup. "Have a great weekend," he sincerely continued. Then, his eyes bugged out in the weirdest, fiercest show of concern I've ever seen. "Be careful!"

I figured there was more to the conversation that I simply hadn't heard. Maybe the soup lady was going lava-diving at Mount Etna with a rabid fox and some poisonous scorpions. It could happen.

Zeus hid something here for me, I think...
Anyway, we worked our way through the line and up to the cash register. The lady there ran his credit card and handed it back. "Thank you," he said to her. "Have a great weekend." Again, his eyes bugged out in horrified concern. "Be careful!"

I was beginning to sense a pattern.

The cash register lady smiled kindly at him, and then stopped him before he could walk away. "Oh, sorry, there was a problem with your card. Can I see that again, please?"

He handed over his card again. She pushed a few buttons and handed it back to him. "Sorry about that," she apologized.

I'm afraid of fear itself!
"Thank you," was his reply. "Have a great weekend. Be careful!"

I swear I am not making that up. He gave his entire "thank you" reply, including the bug-eyed cautionary plea, TWICE to the same lady.

Scruffy and I finished lunch before he did. I considered telling him to have a great weekend as I walked by, but I was afraid he might freak out.

Gotta be careful, you know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home