Sunday, July 02, 2006

Book And Movie - A Good Weekend

This weekend, I finished reading a book and saw a fun movie. My thoughts on the two:

Movie - Godzilla, Final Wars

Oh my this was fun. It's one of those movies you definitely have to be in the right mood for. I was expecting bad acting along with big dumb rubber monsters with lots of cheesy fight sequences. I got that, plus mutants, aliens, fighter jet-ish aerial battles, and kung-foo fighting from both 'zilla and the humans.

There was an American captain who never spoke a word of Japanese. Nobody seemed to notice (except for the guy writing the subtitles). Just like in classic Star Trek, the only real difference between the humans and the mutants and the aliens was the color of your shirt. And it was good to see the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers and the Doublemint Twins working again.

If you're in the mood for a really monumentally dumb movie, then this is perfect! I lost IQ points during this thing.

And now for something completely different...

Book - Black Wind, by Clive Cussler

One of Cussler's best. Made me laugh out loud twice. Make me chuckle throughout. Made me stay up late twice because I couldn't put the book down in the middle of an action sequence.

Hey Rent-A-Zilla and Project Imp, I'm curious to know if you've read this one yet, and what you thought. I had to explain the bit with ferry and the 1953 Chrysler to my wife, because she wanted to know what I was laughing at.


Oh, and we saw Superman Returns, also. It's a no-brainer - if you like Supe's, then go see it. It will bowl you over.

Yoinks!... and away!!!.....

2 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Blogger V said...

Cussler Rocks. (firm nod)

Loved this one, particularly the bit with the ferry and the Chrysler. I thought the previous one was a little too predictable. He more than made up for it with this one.

 
At 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still working on the afore mentioned 'previous' one. At some point I bookmarked my spot and started Maskerade instead. Oddly enough, once Maskerade was finished, I started Guards! Guards! and haven't made it back to Dirk. I'll get there eventually.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home