Saturday, June 24, 2006

Immigration

The complex subject of immigration is one that raises so many questions. How do we deal with so many illegal citizens? How do we secure our borders? I believe there is one equally important question that gets lost in the shuffle. What is the deal with all that Mexican Hinder?

My wife and I live in an apartment. The apartment grounds are blessed with a sprinkler system that has been out of commission for the past month or so. A couple of days ago, my wife looked out our living room window and saw the twin moons of Tatooine, bent over and working on a busted pipe in the ground.

There's just something about dual disembodied plumber's cracks that makes you pause dramatically and ponder basic questions of existence. You know the type... those 2-word ponderings that flummoxed even the greatest philosophers of history. Questions like, "What the?!?...", "But why?!?...", "How did?!?..." and of course, "Why me?!?".

My wife assures me that when she's looking out the window, she's not looking or hoping for a repeat performance. And I believe her. You would too, if you'd seen those Southern Wonders. UPN's fall lineup is more appealing.

BTW, on a serious note... If they do end up granting amnesty to even part of the illegal immigrants in this country, I will be seriously angry. You see, I have a good friend from my previous job (I'll call her "Tiny") who is from elsewhere, and is trying to become a citizen the legal way. Tiny has been in this country for 6 years, and is no closer to citizenship than when she started, thanks to our slow processes. If they start giving citizenship to illegals, and ignore those like Tiny who are trying to do it the right way, I'm going to have to start writing letters to my state representatives.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Not to mention other immigrants, that had to spend 10 or more years getting their citizenship,learn English, learn American history, prove that they can work, pay taxes the entire time, even if they do have 4 yes 4 degrees.....

 
At 9:03 PM, Blogger queen_spoo said...

Yes, this is one of my pet peeves...letting those who came to the country illegally get immediate citizenship while those who try to do it right get stuck in the beaurocratic red tape...

I blogged on this topic a few months ago:

http://www.reasonablenuts.com/2005/10/partial-solution-to-illegal.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home