Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Two In One: Dentistry And Fish

Both of these things happened today. Both are amusing, but short, so I decided to combine them into one post.

One: Jeff, DDS

My phone rang today, and I didn't recognize the number. I picked up anyway. "Hi, I wanted to inquire about family dentistry, and setting up an appointment for myself and my kids."

"Sorry ma'm, but you have a wrong number." But she was persistent. "This isn't a dentist's office?" "No, this is a personal cell phone." Still, she doesn't give up. "Isn't this XXX-XXX-XXXX?" "No ma'm, it isn't. You dialed XXX-XXX-XXYY."

She finally gave up and went away. I was laughing the whole time. Persistent "wrong number" callers amuse me. Did she seriously think that if she questioned me enough, I would suddenly become a dentist? "Nope, wrong number. I told you, wrong number. OK, fine, you got me - I'm a dentist. Is next Wednesday at 4:30 fine for you?"

Two: Musical Fish

One of my co-workers shared part of a resume with me today. "This guy says he's a musician." I perked up. I wanted to know what he played (I play Bass Guitar).

So, he starts reading to me. "Played Bass for Studio X, Played Bass at Event Y,". But here's the kicker... every time he said "Bass", he didn't say it like the Guitar. He pronounced it like the fish, with a soft "a" sound. You know... the one that rhymes with "hinder".

And after every second mispronunciation, he'd laugh, and pronounce it right. Then he'd do it wrong a couple more times, and laugh, and lather/rinse/repeat. Finally, I mentioned that I also played Bass (pronounced correctly). He immediately said, "Oh, I didn't know you played Bass" (rhymed with hinder).

At that point, laughing and shaking his head sadly, he gave up and walked away.

Other people's mental blocks amuse me. :)

6 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have mastered many talents, what's next?

 
At 2:01 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

Binder?

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

zoo keeper?

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

At least it wasn't Bobby the singing bass.........

 
At 10:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Juice from 2 lime wedges
2oz Roses' Sweetened Lime Juice
2oz 1800 Tequila
1/2oz Grand Marnier
1/2oz Margarita Mix or Sweet & Sour mix

Fill shaker with crushed ice.
Juice lime wedges into shaker.
Add remaining ingredients.
Shake well.
Server over ice with a lime wedge in a salt rimmed glass


Take two and call me in the morning.

 
At 11:55 AM, Blogger queen_spoo said...

Yes, I hate those persistent "wrong number" callers. Mine always seem to have an accent from somewhere or speak another language and still don't understand I'm not who they want even after I can't understand them and don't speak the foreign language in which they're talking to me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home