Monday, July 17, 2006

Adventures in ASP.NET Training, Day 1

Today was day 1 of my ASP.NET training course. The instructor is a guy named Ben - he's a good guy. Very bright, pretty easy to understand, knows his stuff really well.

A few amusements from the day...

One of the slides that Ben showed today had a basic outline of Software Development. He read off the 4 "basic" steps to us. They were, "Design, Develop, Debug, Deploy". I nearly shouted, "... and DODGE!" [sheepish embarrassed jeff] 'cause, see, in the movie Dodgeball, the 5 D's of Dodgeball were Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive... and Dodge.

*sigh* I'm such a nerd.

Also, today we encountered the horrors of pronouncing things that shouldn't be pronounced. File extensions, to be exact. We were discussing a particular type of file that has a "WSDL" extension (for example, somefile.wsdl). Ben kept calling it a "Wizz-dull" file. It wouldn't have been quite so funny except that he said something about "generate my own wizzdull". To me, this sounded like he was trying to be subtle about a visit the little boys' room.

And finally, my favorite. When I first came into the classroom, one of the ladies who works for the company was in there, as well as Ben, a network techie, and the other folks in class with me. The lady was bragging about Ben. She was excited about his real-world experience, and how much that would benefit us. She failed to notice Ben walk away from the brief conversation. The network techie dropped to his belly on the floor and started wiggling around trying to plug in a stubborn network cable near where Ben had been standing. Meanwhile, the lady proudly (and blindly) gestured in his direction and said, "He does this for a living!"

He wiggles around on the floor for a living? I can't decide if I need to be looking for a job like that, or if I need to be running away. :)

2 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger MetaCow said...

HAHA!!

I can relate to the acronym pronunciation thing. When I took that class, we were told this: "Before you can add a web service to a project, you need the Earl to the Wizzdull." (URL to the WSDL) We were also told about ildasm, AzzMix, and Aspix. (ILDASM, ASMX, and ASPX)

 
At 6:44 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Yes, we work in a field where acronyms not only abound but they get changed from person to person, I got asked by another employee how to spell CLOK........... He thought I was pronouncing it out, but I was actually saying the letters, C L O K.... Remember telling people about Miss Config? (msconfig)!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home