Tuesday, July 18, 2006

An Apology To Those I've Trained

OK, so those of you who are not programmers, a lot of this isn't going to make sense. There's not really a punch line either. This is more a case of, "Holy crud, I've been stupid."

For those of you who are programmers... remember ASP.NET Validation Controls? Remember what I've always said about them? I've stood in front of informal training groups and flat-out said that Validation Controls were horrible, worthless things. I swore never to use them. Today I learned how incredibly wrong I was.

Those silly things do Server-Side validation, in addition to Client-Side. The Client-Side is fairly proprietary to Internet Explorer, but the Server-Side bits are nigh bullet-proof. And they are far, far, easier to use than the custom validation code I'm used to writing.

So, if you are a programmer whom I have led astray, and you want to learn how these things are supposed to be used, please feel free to contact me. I'll lead you into the light. And if you're not a programmer... well, didn't you read the warning back in paragraph 1? ;)

3 Comments:

At 11:02 AM, Blogger V said...

There was a warning in paragraph 1? I missed it. I think I was distracted by "Holy crud, I've been stupid."

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

I hate those moments. I felt the same way when I learned that doing an inner join with the WHERE clause actually incurs a huge performance penalty in SQL Server 2000.

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

yea, lead us down the golden path, here we are waiting for the joke.... Warning ¶, bah, is skip the intro get into the game faster!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home