Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Stories From My Past: Perry Farrell

Perry FarrellI saw a story on the news this past weekend about Perry Farrell, former lead man for a band called "Jane's Addiction". It seems he's got a new band and a new album now.

Now, I'm pretty indifferent toward Farrell and his work. But it did remind me of a good story. In college back in '92, I had a Political Science class. It was an honors class, which meant we had quite an odd assortment of folk. In particular, there was a guy who had dreadlocks down past his shoulders, sunglasses, and a perpetual "Yah man, I'm high on something!" smile on his face.

George Bush (Sr.)Bill ClintonDuring this semester, the professor had us do a mock election. The presidential election that year was Bush Sr. vs Clinton.

Once the ballets were cast, the professor was reading through them. "Here's one for Bush," he'd say. "Here's another for Clinton. One more for Clinton. And here's one for... Perry Farrell?"

He gave the class a confused look. "I didn't know Perry Farrel was a candidate."

Dreadlocks Guy perked up (even more than usual). "Dude!" he loudly and joyously proclaimed. "Perry Farrell's *always* a candidate!"

VoteI know who's going to get my write-in vote for President this time around. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home