Tuesday, September 08, 2009

The Meeting That Wasn't

I was at work, happily typin' away when it arrived.

I *still* think this thing looks like a crushed soda canA meeting invitation popped into my inbox. It said we'd meet at 10:30 in the lobby and walk over to the BOK Center (it's only two blocks from my office).

I looked at the clock. It was 10:15.

I looked at the recipient list. All of them were people I know and have worked with, but not on any recent projects.

Humiliation awaitsSo... a last-minute meeting invite with no reason attached. I walked down to the lobby, deciding that I would ask what the meeting was for on the way over.

The lobby was empty except for a security guard. "I think I'm supposed to meet someone here," I said, feeling like an idiot. The guard grinned. "Personals ad work out for ya?"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're a dork, aren't you?I was starting to feel like a practical joke victim. "I got a meeting invite, but I'm not entirely sure with who or why." My voice trailed off pathetically. The lobby looked nothing like a conference room.

The guard was laughing openly by now. "You'll believe anything, won't you?", he asked. "I heard your meeting was moved to the generator room in the basement. You're about to be promoted to a position where money falls from the sky and you never have to do anything. Also, that shirt and those socks look really nice together."

Nerds have feelings too!I ran out of the lobby crying.

I found out later that the meeting was the next day, and that I had been invited by mistake.

I never found out what the meeting was for.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Damned LOLCats got into the email system again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home