Wednesday, November 29, 2006

They Speak Spanish

OK, bear with me on this one. The path winds around a bit, but I think you'll agree the destination is worth it.

tunesWhile driving home from work yesterday, I had the radio on. I got bored with the song that was playing, so I hit the "scan" button. The next station that came up was a Spanish station.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't hang out on a Spanish station. I had Spanish in high school, but that was 14 years ago. All I really remember is that "Hola" means "I am a tourist."

percussiveThis time, however, the music caught my attention. It wasn't your typical Mariachi band stuff. It was more percussive, and had vocal harmonies, and was just generally a lot of fun to listen to. So, I left the radio there.

I couldn't understand the words, obviously, but I didn't care. Somehow I managed to not care even when the song ended and a commercial came on.

Se habla español!I slowly realized what I was listening to. I heard the voice rattle off some numbers, probably a phone number. Then, the part that made me laugh out loud... the ad concluded with - "Se habla español!"

At the conclusion of a 30-second all-Spanish radio ad, they have to also mention that they speak Spanish?

This message brought to you by the Department of Jeff (he speaks English!).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home