Monday, March 05, 2007

New(ish) TV!

This past weekend was full of goodness. Two birthday parties, and a large portion of both days spent out of town. So much goodness that I have 3 blog stories to cover it! This first one involves some peripheral activity around my Father-In-Law's birthday gathering, which was Saturday.

It all started Friday evening. We got a most unexpected question from my wife's brother (and his wife). "Hey, do you want our old TV?"

I'm old. I suck.They are getting a new flat-panel plasma TV, and want to get rid of their old tube. Their old TV is about 8-9 years old, but it's in great condition. Our blurry old TV is rather not in good condition.

The only catch? Since our weekend was so busy, we weren't able to let them come by and deliver the TV. We had to pick it up during the birthday festivities and then haul it inside ourselves.

The TV is 30-something inches wide. It weighs about as much as I do. I'm *ahem* not exactly known for my physical prowess. We live in a second-story apartment. And when we rolled in that evening, there were no close parking spaces available.

Heavy.I somehow managed to stumble across the parking lot without dropping the thing. Then, a long rest on a relative stranger's porch to catch my breath. Next... stairs. Stairs aren't fun when you're carrying more than you are technically able to carry. Another long pause for breath. Then, across our porch, and into the living room.

When I finally got that thing on the living room floor, I couldn't get back up again. When I finally did get up, my wife handed me a glass of water. My whole arm trembled with the effort of holding up the glass. Obviously, installation would have to wait for the next morning.

Sunday morning, I set up the "new" tube for us. This is the first TV I've ever owned that had more than just a single Coax connection on the back. I have S-Video now! My television equipment is now less than a decade old! That's as good as current in my book.

This thing is magic!After installing everything, I started up a DVD movie, a VHS movie, and SportsCenter. I just sat on the couch hitting the "input" button over and over. I was geekin' out pretty hard. I could read text on the screen! I had multiple inputs! My RF-Converter box was unplugged!

I AM THE GREATEST!Testosterone was flowing pretty strong, lemmie tell ya. I thought of a boxer after winning a big fight. Sweat and blood flowing, swaying side to side, barely able to hold his own arms up over his head, trying to give a "I just won!" interview even though he hasn't remembered to spit out his mouthpiece yet... yeah, that was me, baby.

The new-ness hasn't worn off yet. Tonight, I get to watch "Heroes" and actually see detail. I can't wait. :)

1 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Congratulations on joining the rest of us with our entertainment setups! Now we just got to catch up to the HDMI, Blu-Ray, or HD-DVD club!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home