Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Fable Of The Unhappy Admin

I can't believe Conan is going to replace Leno...I'm not sayin' that this story happened where I work. I'm not sayin' it didn't. All I'm sayin' is that once upon a time there was a Program that Users could log into, and an Unhappy Admin who cared for it.

One day a User wrote an email to the Unhappy Admin. "I can't log into the Program," he claimed. The Unhappy Admin wrote him back, saying "I've reset your password. Your username is THIS and your password is THAT."

Joy bubblesMinutes later, the User sent another email. "It told me 'Invalid Password', but I think it let me in anyway." I ... er ... I mean, the Unhappy Admin, replied "I don't think you got in. When you log into the Program, it bubbles with joy and good cheer. I sense nothing but the burnt essence of perpetual failure. Try again... your username is THIS and your password is THAT."

The brief glory of silence was broken by another email. "I put in my username and it didn't work, so I tried uppercase and that didn't work. By the way... should I be typing something in the 'password' box?"

No solicitors!At that point the Unhappy Admin flew into a rage. He pushed the User into his oven next to the two German kids, locked the doors to his gingerbread house, and sat down to wait for the Angry Woodsman.

The moral of the story, obviously, is that sometimes a blank password really is the best way to go.

5 Comments:

At 9:11 AM, Blogger LadyPatsFan said...

Now see - your ... I mean Unhappy Admin's problem was this. You ... I mean Unhappy Admin told User their password, but he didn't tell them that they had to USE it!


ps - Blog word is perition, which is very close to perdition, which really seems to sum up the subject of this post - and sometimes our career choice - quite nicely. :)


pps - I take too long to type. blog word is now gromrrec, which tho nonsense, still seems strangely accurate.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorramit!! P. A. S. S... You know what? Forget it. There is no program. We were just messing with you. You're gonna have to do it the old fashioned way.

Have a nice day!

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger V said...

During a brief period in which I had to be an unhappy admin in charge of making user names and passwords...I abused my power for my own entertainment.

This, fortunately, surprised no one. I think I'm getting too predictable.

Blogword is "guityup" , which apparently means Lady Pats Fan should type faster. :D

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What good is being admin if you can't have fun with it? Passwords should initially be 5 - 8 characters easily typed but only the first time. As of the second call the password should increase in complexity until by the third call it is 32 characters long of which a minimum of 10 should require 3 keys held down simultaneously to produce the character.....people will eventually learn to pay attention the first time you tell them something.

word is now "typerfi" - seize the typist?

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

AWESOME suggestion. :)

Time to implement a policy change...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home