Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Involuntary Background Music

Cleverly hiding the fact that I have no earsAt work, the programmer I share a cubical with has found a way to combat the constant "Hey Jeff" noise from my area. He simply plugs in his earbuds and cranks up his 'tunes.

However, last week the term "tunes" didn't quite apply. It was one single tune, played over and over. I know, because it was loud enough that I could hear it. There's no way this was multiple songs. Constant repetitive involuntary background music, not quite as loud as what you'd hear in an elevator.

It doesn't get any more 'old school' than thisThe song sounded like a combo of some Americanized Anime Saturday morning cartoon theme, and New Kids on the Block. As a bonus, the vocals (female) seemed to have a metallic echo-y effect applied to them, like T-Pain (or Peter Frampton, if you'd rather kick it old school).

It was mostly hilarious, and a little maddening. It was like the Saturday-morning easy-pop version of Wagner's "Ring of the Nibelung". Never-ending happy-pop with auto-tune.

Kill the wabbit?Seriously, there's no way that many hyphens can be healthy.

After three days, the Anime Opera ended, and he switched to something that sounded like a big-band jazz group. It was still amazingly repetitive, with the trumpets squealing out the same riff over and over, but it was a nice change of pace to my ears.

Variety is the spice of life, after all.

If you're interested, here's Peter Frampton and his "Talk Box" to give you an idea of the metallic vocal effects I was hearing. There's no way in blazes that I'd link to a T-Pain 'vid. :)



Worth noting: The phrase "Hey Jeff" has actually started causing nervous tics and eye spasms every time I hear it. Therefore, I've started pretending to hear other phrases instead. Currently, when someone says "Hey Jeff" my mind translates that to, "'Sup, Supa-fly!"

It's silly, but I twitch less.

2 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

"I'm on a Boat" - T-Pain at his best.

Where's your brother, Nathaniel, Supa-fly?

Today's code word: carnedi
It puts me in mind of funny meat.

 
At 3:47 PM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Oh! This means Jeff gets his own theme song!

Awwww yeah...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home