Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Propping Up The Fence

The fence along the back of my backyard is held together with sticky bird droppings and sheer hope. Thankfully we had a large bit of lumber laying around, because recently this became necessary:

Subtle...

When you reach this point with your fence, the term "permanent solution" ceases to apply. However, "long-term solution" is still an attainable goal. Sorta.

A thing of beauty. A 'thing', at least.I talked to my dad about how to use T-Posts to prop up the fence. T-Posts are crazy-hard metal sticks you can slam into the ground and lean stuff against. You use a tool called a "post driver" for the slamming bit.

My grandfather offered to let me borrow his post driver. I had never seen one before. Dad warned me that Grandpa's is home-made and "a sight to behold." He wasn't kidding. At eye level that thing looks like jail cell bars for really skinny people. It's nearly as heavy as I am.

It's loud, too. Metal on metal, go figure.

This is my favorite part, though. On the phone, Dad described the metal brackets I would need for attaching the T-Posts to the fence cross-beams. He said he'd give me some if he still had any laying around. This is what I received:

'Here is one I took off of our fence'

That's right. My dad partially dismantled his fence to show me how to fix mine. Dad... you're the best.

I didn't quite get it done injury-free, but thankfully I only bled a little. My wife says the "What have I done to my poor unsuspecting thumb?" dance was bold and innovative. It was also nearly as loud as the post driver.

Sweet Victory

That, my friends, is what victory looks like. It feels good to be a winner!

It's all good!

3 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Bah! A little bailin' wire will fix that right up!

It might help the fence, too.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

LOL!

We did end up using bailing wire, in fact. Broke a pair of wire-cutters, too.

 
At 4:20 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Broke the wire cutters huh? That takes talent!

Blog word Imackle, no idea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home