Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Finding Solutions

Early last week, I ran into a problem at work. A co-worker and I had spent 2 and a half weeks writing a program for our current project. It was finally working, finally flawless. I put that program out on one of our company servers, and it stopped working.

For the record, I've tried this and it doesn't workThis was an unpleasant turn of events, to say the least. I worked on troubleshooting the program for a solid day and a half. After many failed attempts and stressful moments, the program suddenly started working with no apparent change on my part.

Now, I can update / modify / change the program however I want. It refuses to break. It just started magically working, and I have no idea why.

Middle of last week, I was working on a "delete" function to remove some data. The silly thing would only delete about half of what I wanted. I couldn't figure out why.

I spent a solid day and a half troubleshooting my "delete" function. Suddenly, with no apparent change from me, it started working.

I don't know if I actually produced anything of value last week, or if valuable stuff just kinda "appeared" around me. Am I a producer, or merely a conduit? Hard to say.

Quiet! Solutions in progressI do know this, however. The next time I come up against a screwy problem at work, I'm just gonna take a nap. I have confidence that my incubation time for a solution is about 36 hours.

If you see me asleep at my desk, I'm actually hard at work.

BONUS: The polar opposite of what I've just described...

4 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Hey Jeff! Come stand next to my computer. my code isn't working.

 
At 10:44 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

I really would, but I'm hard at work on a problem over here.

....zzzzzzz.....

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Perhaps your Code God status has been updated?

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Lady Bug said...

Hey Jeff...did you ever live in Houston? I've enjoyed reading your blogs...finally...intelligence...and I can relate to your perfectionism...takes one to know one...LOL...would your birthday happen to be June 6, 1979? Have a great day...my email address is rlbhillsong@yahoo.com

Have fun today and enjoy yourself today...Rhonda

 

Post a Comment

<< Home