Friday, June 12, 2009

(Non-Injury) Stories From Work

Say hello to the conformity squadTwinkies

The other day Merik and Big Dawg showed up to work wearing the same shirt. I was amused, so I snuck in a photo. Neither of them know about this photo (well... they might have some idea about it now).

I must have missed the "Jailhouse Striped Shirt" memo that day. Two people thinking with the same brain! I hope they don't think they can both fit in that chair.

A Big Payday

One of my duties recently involved moving some data. I'd collect it from one place, "transform" it a bit, and pass it along. The data I was moving included some job postings from another company. The "transformation" involved some very bad math on my part.

I knew my test had gone awry when I saw a job posting come up with a 494 Million dollar annual salary. Did I mention I included some very bad math in my program? I turned to my boss and said, "If this is true, then this is my two-week's notice." He just smiled and said, "Not if I get there first."

Meeting Time

Cold popcorn makes a sad JeffWe were going to have a meeting, but since we couldn't book a conference room everybody was going to just call in from their desks. I got some popcorn and a drink, and sat down at my desk to await the fun.

At the last minute, word came down that a conference room had opened up for us. In a semi-panic, I jumped up and ran for it.

When I arrived, I realized how out of place I looked. Everybody else had notepads and pens. I was carrying my popcorn and drink. I had nothing to write with, and nothing to write on.

I used the opportunity to practice my very attentive look. I'm not sure I ever blinked. My popcorn got cold. :(

Stadium Seating

I'll often work with my headphones on, which obviously means I don't hear what's going on around me. The other day I looked up and saw the tops of a couple of chairs protruding over my cubical wall. I walked around to the other side and saw this:

How appropriate that I just mentioned popcorn!

I'm not sure how I feel about having a small theater installed near my desk. I doubt if it would be much louder than the freight elevator, and the chairs do look comfy. I guess I'm OK with it as long as they never show any movies starring Madonna or Paris Hilton.

3 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Boy Wonder said...

As I read about the "Jailhouse Striped Shirt", I realized that I was wearing my Jailhouse Striped Shirt. It was creepy.

Also, where did you guys move? I don't remember your closet office having anything but block glass windows.

 
At 10:16 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Theatre seating... popcorn... jumbo Coke...

All you're missing is the giant bag of Twizzlers and some kid to kick the back of your chair.

Don't forget to hit the restroom before the trailers stop.

 
At 10:46 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Boy Wonder:

Us web programmers moved down to the second floor, which used to be bunches and bunches of storage and pre-press. Now pre-press is in a smaller area, we're huge, and there's still a pretty massive storage area.

Our new 'digs are pretty sweet. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home