Monday, June 29, 2009

Woodworking Elite

This is an odd intro, but here we go: I was at a funeral last week. The gentleman we said goodbye to is worthy of many stories. I won't tell those stories here, but I will tell you a story about a conversation I overheard from the audience.

Green means GO!... oy, even *I* can't believe I made that jokeThe crowd was much bigger than anticipated, and we ran out of seats. The service was delayed a few minutes while the stragglers set up folding chairs over by the restrooms (literally!). People in the crowd started to chat.

Casual funeral conversation is, by definition, a bit odd. Anything you discuss feels just a little out of place. As voices started to murmur around us, I could hear about half of a conversation nearby.

"You know, I've always been interested in wood," said a voice from the row behind us.

I couldn't see either of the participants, but I got a good mental picture of the guy being talked to... he was probably staring open-mouthed at the speaker, horrified to be discussing something so randomly casual at a somber event. The primary voice continued, undaunted.

This is serious business. I must have total silence."Not woodworking, exactly, finish work, but rough carpentry, you know?" The brief pause suggested that the dumbstruck chat target had nodded. "When I was little I always liked putting nails into wood."

I would like to note, for the record, that the joy of hitting things repeatedly with blunt objects is not exactly uncommon among young males.

The voices continued, and I didn't catch everything that was said. I did hear some laughter and a few odd phrases...

Use the horsepower, Luke
Basically, it's already a projectile...
"I'd be a carpentry master!"
"No, better than a master... "
"Yeah, I'd be a Wood Jedi!"

Forget it. I'm outta here!"Wood Jedi" brings so many fun images to mind. Luke Skywalker chopping down Ewok trees with his mind. A chainsaw artist carving Obi-Wan into a tree stump. A huge bearded TimberSports man in coveralls raising a hand and magically throwing an amusement park Log Flume ride at an approaching AT-AT.

Honestly, it took real effort not to laugh out loud.

So, here's an assignment for those with the talent and the time to burn. Photoshop a "Wood Jedi" for me. I'll post your pics, or links to your pics, or whatever.

Oh, and make sure you hug somebody you love today. It matters.

4 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Luke. You are... my sapling.

Search your leaves and roots, Luke. You know it to be true.

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Great. Now I'm picturing TreeBeard with a lightsaber.

Hrum-rum. Do or do not, hrum.

 
At 11:16 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

ROFL

Treebeard with a lightsaber. That's outstanding.

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

So Quickbeam could be the sith apprentice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home