Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Nickname

For years now I've occasionally mentioned a co-worker who I've called SWoaN, or "She Without a Nickname". I always intended that to be temporary, but it kinda stuck.

(By the way, the first story to mention SWoaN is worth a re-read. You can find it here, if you are so inclined.)

Last week, SWoaN opened up some website code and started shouting. When she calmed down a bit she shared the offending code with us.

Blah, blah, blah...
Now, for those of you who are not Web Programmers, I'll try to be gentle. There is a simple beastie called a "SPAN" that can be placed around text. Generally, this is done to change the text's style; to make something bold, or change color, that sort of thing.

<span class="RedText">It looks like this</span>

Simple, right?

The code that SWoaN opened up had at least 50 of those SPAN beasties, all clobbered around more or less randomly. It filled up the entire screen.

...<span class="rs18"><span class="jt27"><span class="ds5">It looked something like this</span></span></span>...

I gotta admit, that's the sort of thing that would make me scream, too.

Tools of the trade
Well, obviously I couldn't just let this one slide. I took a post-it note and wrote <span class="SpanFan"> on it. Then I took another post-it note and wrote </span>.

I walked over to SWoaN's desk and put the two post-it's on either side of her computer monitor. The whole time she was sitting right there asking, "What the heck are you doing?"

Once the second wave of shouting died down, I grinned at SWoaN. "You realize you finally have a real blog nickname now, don't you?"

Ladies and Gentlemen, allow me to introduce (again), SpanFan! (the artist formerly known as SWoaN)

Welcome to the family, SpanFan. :)

1 Comments:

At 8:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not know you had introduced me in your blog 2 days after I've started and SWoaN had stuck since then. It's been 2.5 years and Lightyear still talk to me about not being blonde. We just can't please him.
Thank you for my new nickname. Glad to me part of the family :-)

-- SpanFan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home