Monday, January 10, 2011

User Description

I know your password. You cannot hide.
One day at work I found myself creating a User Account for OoRah on one of our servers.

For those who have never had the joy, creating a User Account on a Windows computer really isn't all that hard. There's a field for his login name and password, and a few other options. One of the optional fields is "Description". Being the consummate professional I am, I know that the "Description" field provides valuable additional information about the user (in this case, OoRah) and his level of access to the server. It is very important that I be accurate, concise, and fair.

I considered all of this, and then typed "Large, Bulky" into the Description field.

I'm just big-boned
I called OoRah over to my desk so he could type in his password. He saw how I described him and shrugged. "That works for me," he happily said.

I checked the box that said, "User cannot change password." "What?!?", OoRah said in mock outrage. "You mean I can't change my password?"

"If it's any consolation, I'm about to add you to the Administrator's group."

"Whoo-hoo!"

I gave him one last piece of advice. "Just try not to FDisk anything."

OoRah gave me a blank stare. I pretended to be surprised. "Did I just show my age?", I asked.

OoRah's blank stare did not improve. I chuckled and turned away. Let him wonder.

He can Google it if he really wants to know.

4 Comments:

At 9:18 AM, Blogger MetaCow said...

Thanks, Jeff. You have successfully made me feel old. Now, I'm going to go COPY CON a new autoexec.bat.

code word - busnoga. Sounds like a cool band name.

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger Michael Damboldt said...

is it weird that I know what that is?

 
At 12:05 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

MetaCow: You are old. Get your walker offa my lawn.

Michael: Everything about you is weird. ;)

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger V said...

It's only weird that you admitted to knowing. And it makes you old. Or something. In your case, best to go with 'or something'. Possibly safer in the long run, we wouldn't want you hurting yourself.

Blogword "skinface", which is either the blogs rather polite way of suggesting a fine new nick name for the WebNinja, or it's referencing some troll somewhere. No one repeat the name in case it's like Beetlejuice.

Oh, sorry, you probably weren't around for that either. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home