Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Better Oil Change

True story: There's an auto service place here in town where we've taken my car once. Only once, because not only did they take longer than they said and charge more than they said, but they also scratched the hood of my car. We opted not to go back.

Not too long ago, we got a flier in the mail from them. There was a coupon for 9 dollars off an oil change. "Really? What's their normal price?", I asked. My wife didn't know, so she called them.

"$40!", the guy on the phone happily replied.

At 9 dollars off, that price is *still* higher than any place else we've ever used. "You've got to be kidding!", my wife said.

"Oh, not at all," the guy insisted. "We know we can charge more because we give you a better oil change."

"Better?" "Absolutely!"

My wife was not convinced. "And will you scratch the hood of the car again?"

This made him pause a moment, but he rallied magnificently. "Absolutely! I mean no! Our oil changes are *better*!"

"That plus a buck 50 will buy a cup a coffee."

The guy faltered a bit. "But... our oil changes..."

"Are better. Yes, I've heard. Have a nice day."

I can get my hood scratched anywhere. No need to be overcharged for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home