Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Ants

This happened a couple of years ago at my old job, and it has to do with an ant infestation at the desk of a co-worker.

English Major was loud about the "fact" that somebody had attracted ants into the building with their mess. "I didn't do anything to attract them," she said. "It's all you guys, with your soda cans sitting out, and crumbs in your keyboards. It's not me!"

I can spell!Regardless of cause, the infestation was undeniable. You could watch the ants follow a line from the corner of a wall over to English Major's desk. They'd go up the desk leg, and then would scurry all over the surface of her desk.

So, we got some Borax (? I think that was it... "ant poison", in any case) and then started moving English Major's stuff to another desk.

When we turned her keyboard over, crumbs fell out.
When we picked up her monitor, coffee spills and crumbs were evident.
When we moved her PC, more coffee spills and sticky, sugary stuff was evident.

It wasn't me?The mess was extensive, and impressive. The ants were eliminated, and English Major was proven wrong. This was great fun... she's somebody who's fun to pick on. :)

4 Comments:

At 9:12 AM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Hehe, I remember that! If I remmeber the trail of ants skipped 2 other desks to get to hers too!

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger V said...

I think at one point, she even suggested I might have had a hand in it and I can't even look at sugar without feeling somewhat ill.

All in all, they were very entertaining ants. Too bad we didn't take pictures.

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where's the love? I never thought it was anything other than my keyboard. That was a NASTY keyboard. But it hadn't been mine very long and I think that's why you guys thought I was trying to blame you (as if I thought you were sneaking in at night to sprinkle magic ant dust in my keyboard?). I fried my keyboard with a Diet Coke and had been using one of the um... dubious keyboards from the computer parts graveyard for about a month before the killer ant invasion. I didn't like being blamed for a volume of keyboard crumbs that would have meant that I was shoving crackers into the keyboard at a rate you'd only find in the olymipics of cracker crumbling and sticky soda spilling.

And you guys all made fun of me when I complained that it rattled, had a suspiciously sticky ALT key, creepy purple-blue smudges on the number pad, and bunch of non-working keys that created neat-o coded messages when I forgot about which keys they were. Yuck. I still have nightmares about that scary trail mix from the end-of-snack days at the web building crawling out of the keyboard to haunt me.

 
At 10:44 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Well,... that's *your* side of the story. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home