Wednesday, August 09, 2006

The Heat Is Starting To Get To Me

OK, I've tried really hard not to whine about the heat. This is mostly because I know that many of my friends are in Stillwater, and every time I see temperatures on the news, Stillwater is a good 5 degrees closer to Hades than I am. This is even crazier when you consider the fact that Tulsa has been over 100 degrees for what feels like years now.

hotYesterday, as I was leaving work, it was somewhere around 104, 105. I have a 5-block walk to the lot where I park... thankfully, a good portion of the walk is in the shade. There's a shuttle-bus that carries folks from work to the parking lot, but I only take the shuttle about half the time.

So, I started walking to the lot. And it was crazy hot. And then, I felt a raindrop! Blessed rain! Could it be? And then, another! Soon, I could feel a constant pitter-patter. Not enough to cover anything, but the drops were cool against my distressing hotness.

Suddenly, it felt like I was being smothered in a wet blanket. Cool raindrops against my skin, but crazy-muggy-steamy-hot air was blasting up from the asphalt below. I looked down... the raindrops were lasting maybe 6 seconds after landing, and then they were already evaporated away. There was a cloud of mist/steam rising from the baking-hot street, and it was almost enough to choke me.

Soon, Please!I was (and remain) deeply impressed. The rain went from refreshing to oppressive in about 45 seconds.

I think I'm ready for some snow.

1 Comments:

At 12:55 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

I feel lots better about my heat comment now.....

This summer has been crazy hot! I tell ya if I survive the bills this summer, I won't have a problem at any point in the future, (my first summer with a house payment and it is the hottest summer in how many decades?), wowsers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home