Thursday, August 03, 2006

Stories From My Past: Bicycle Sadness - The Bee

All the discussion of stingers in my previous story got me thinking about this one. Rent-A-Zilla and the Project Imp will remember it well... this happened only a year or so ago.

Whee!At my previous job, I lived just a few minutes from work. I could easily ride my bicycle to work, so I did fairly regularly. I rode on a bike / pedestrian trail that was right next to a lake. It was a pretty tranquil ride, most days.

On this particular day, it was hot. The day would eventually turn out to be around 100 degrees - the morning was already steamy. I was pushing along, no pedestrian traffic, no worries. Then, out of nowhere, a bee buzzed in front of my face, matched my speed, and just hovered there a few inches in front of my eyes.

Hi!As I mentioned in the previous post, I don't do well with stingy thingies. Especially when they come out of nowhere like that. I'd love to be able to say I was cool under duress. I'd like to claim that I was calm and steady. Instead, I have to admit to going "Spaz" with rather dramatic results.

I tried to swipe the bee away from my face. I tried to do this without actually letting go of the handlebars. This was ungood. The result was that the bike swayed wildly to one side. I overcorrected about 6 times, swaying like a madman to the left, right, left, right, and then finally was dumped rudely into the grass next to the bike path.

owI quickly got up to look for the bee. Thankfully, it was gone. Then, I took stock of myself, and was badly confused. I was soaking wet! The grass still had morning dew on it, and I had slid several feet after hitting the ground. I may as well have jumped into the lake itself.

I was wearing a white shirt, too. Well, it was covered in mud and grass stains after my spill. I absent-mindedly started to brush at the mud to see if I could clear it off. The mud spread, instead. I didn't notice at first, because I was still on the lookout for the bee. When I did look again, I realized why... my hands were sliced open in places, and I was spreading a solid layer of blood all over my shirt.

I had to go back home. The white shirt didn't survive the ordeal. Project Imp found great joy in this story, also. :)

2 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having one of those days that, through some weird set of coincidences, forms itself around some kind of theme. Today it's bees and vehicles.

This morning I read a news story about a 16-year old driver crashing into a tree full of bees (http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060803/D8J8VPUG0.html).

Then I read this post about how bees and bicycles don't mix.

Then a coworker tells me about accidentally disturbing a bee hive while mowing her yard and the pursuant... um... pursuit (with angry bees and riding lawnmower but sadly lacking the appropriate wacky music).

So, I’ll be grabbing a can of bee repellent and carefully fastening my safety belt/bike helmet/full body armor if I have to go anywhere today.

 
At 1:58 PM, Blogger V said...

This story still amuses me. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home