Friday, August 25, 2006

Maynard Ferguson

Maynard FergusonI was having a normal morning until I saw this news story about Maynard Ferguson's passing. This saddens me greatly. He was 78.

I got to hear him play in Stillwater a few years ago. At one point, he referred to himself as "M.F." Then, when the crowd laughed, he said, "Hey, those are just my initials." If the big man says it's OK, then by golly it's OK.

Even in his mid-70's, M.F. could hit high notes that I could never dream to get near. That concert was simply magnificent. My ears were ringing... for hours afterward, I could still hear the music just by closing my eyes and listening to the echos.

Maynard FergusonHe had a lead trumpet player who was clearly a disciple. This guy could screech out the high notes just like M.F. I remember, during one song the lead trumpeter came to the front and played a solo. Maynard was standing next to him, just grinning and watching him play. At the end of his solo, this young kid blasted out a note higher than anything I've ever heard. You could actually hear the audience gasp in amazement. And Maynard was just beaming - he looked like a proud father. It was cool.

I have a couple of Maynard's albums. I suspect I'm going to get more of them soon. He was the last of an era of unbelievable jazz greats. Rest well, big guy... I'll miss you.

3 Comments:

At 3:58 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

I saw him at NSU when I was in high school. He made a comment then that he had the most unfortunate initials in show business.

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Sorry to hear of his passing, sounds like he made an impact!

I never saw him, and I only really know of 2 professional horn players, Dizzy Gillespie, and Doc Severinsen.

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Dizzy and Doc were / are great, great players. Some would rate Maynard up there with them. Some (like me) would rate Maynard above them, up in the stratosphere, where he played.

I'll see if I can arrange a chance for you to hear a M.F. tune or two, if you're interested.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home