Thursday, August 24, 2006

Stories From My Past: Hawaiian Dollar

I think this happened in Jr. High School. It might have been late in grade school.

Want a soda?There were 4-5 vending machines in the school lunchroom, including a couple of soda machines. One of my friends asked me if I had money for him to get a pop. I didn't.

"Hm... ", he said, the wheels turning in his mind. "I have an idea."

Another kid, not known for his quick wits, walked by. My friend (we'll call him "Copperfield") grabbed Witless and said, "Hey, do you want to see a Hawaiian Dollar?"

Witless gave him a blank stare. "Uh... a what?"

Copperfield convinced Witless that it would be super-cool to see a Hawaiian Dollar. But it would cost him. Payment was one US Dollar. Confused, Witless agreed and handed over a dollar bill.

Hawaiian DollarCopperfield immediately flashed the dollar bill in Witless's face and said, "Hawaii is part of the United States. Therefore, *this* is a Hawaiian Dollar." Then, he immediately put the dollar in the vending machine and got his soda.

It all happened so fast, Witless barely had time to protest.

Just in case there's any doubt, Witless and Jeff are not the same person. Anybody who knows me at all knows I'm too cheap to spend a dollar to see a dollar. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home