Monday, September 10, 2007

Luncheon

So long old pal... we'll miss you!Friday we had a bittersweet luncheon with current and former co-workers. We celebrated Boss Lady's birthday, and said farewell to Boy Wonder.

The Saint made cheesecake for us, which she brought to the restaurant. Let it be known that I hate cheesecake. Let it also be known that the Saint's cheesecake was wonderful. It was good enough to sway a hater like me, and it was good enough to attract stragglers. Lemmie 'splain...

As the Saint was cutting into the cheesecake, four older ladies from a nearby table got up to leave. The first one walked right up to the Saint.

Cheesecake"Oh, that looks *so* good! Where is this on the menu?"

Smiling sweetly, the Saint replied, "It isn't. I made this." "Oh!" came Lady1's reply. "What's the occasion?"

"It's her birthday," said the Saint, pointing at Boss Lady. Then she indicated Boy Wonder, saying, "... and we have to say goodbye to him."

"Well, that cheesecake just looks *so* good!", Lady1 proclaimed. As she moved on, Lady2 stepped up. "Oh, that looks *so* good! Where is this on the menu?"

*sigh* Silly peopleThere was a slight pause before the Saint replied. The words, "Didn't you hear me just then?" were non-verbal but loud and clear as she said, "Er... It isn't. I made this."

"Oh! What's the occasion?"

Glances were exchanged 'round the table. "It's her birthday, and we have to say goodbye to him." "Well, that cheesecake just looks *so* good!", and Lady2 moved out of the way.

Lady3 stepped up to the batter's box. "Oh, that looks *so* good! Where is this on the menu?"

Don't make me use thisBy this point, the Saint looked like she was seriously considering another use for the cake knife. She was still smiling, but her teeth never unclenched as she growled, "It. Isn't. *I*. Made. This."

"Oh! What's the occasion?"

I'm still not sure how Lady3 managed to not be killed. As she left, Lady4 staggered up, and it all started over yet again. However, as soon as Boss Lady's birthday was mentioned, Lady4 lit up (more than she already was).

"Oh!", she shouted. "I *like* birthdays! I should be friends with you!"

"Sure," somebody chuckled. "Just pull up a chair, and..."

"I will!" she joyously shouted. Without a second's thought, she hopped into an empty chair right next to me. "I'm Anita!"

"Anita, we're leaving!", her friends yelled. With a mighty laugh and a joyful, "I'll see you later, my new friends!", she slapped me on the back and left. There was a pause before anybody spoke.

Tee-Hee! 'hiccup!"Who was that?"

Powerama had the answer. "That was our new friend, 'Anita 'nuther Mint Julep'."

Ah, Anita. We miss you already!

Boy Wonder, we miss you already also. You bum. :(

1 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Admit it... you'll only miss my awesome costumes.

And remember, I am not Juan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home