Thursday, August 30, 2007

So Glad

Well doneOne recent morning, I shuffled into work in my usual glassy-eyed semi-conscious way. I woke up a little as I approached the break room, because I could see Aqueduct standing in there, toiling over an English Muffin.

Fwooosh!Walking into the break room, the smell of burnt English Muffin woke me up the rest of the way. Aqueduct only likes his English Muffins *after* they've been blessed by the presence of the Tulsa fire department.

Anyway, I was feeling wide-eyed and slightly inebriated by the sudden rise to consciousness. Which probably explains what happened next.

I love you, man!Aqueduct said "Good morning". I spread my arms slightly in an "I want a hug" pose, pasted on a overly dramatic smile, and said, "I am *SO* *GLAD* to see *YOU*!"

There was an elephantine pause as Aqueduct stared at me. He didn't blink. It felt like whole days were passing in the tense silence. I could feel dust gathering on my outstretched arms.

Slowly, carefully, he replied, "Well... I hope that I can live up to your lofty expectations of me."

Without moving my arms or my huge smile, I said, "So far, not so much, no."

Two burnt, stinky, smokey peas in a podAqueduct has a good sense of humor, so the end result of all this was laughter. Thank goodness... I'd hate for him to sneak down to my office and burn *my* toast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home