Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Thanksgiving Fallout, Part 2

University Of OklahomaI have an Aunt who I'll call Aunt Boomer, 'cause she's nutty about her OU football team. She's a sweet lady, but I could have stopped that sentence 5 words early and it'd still be an accurate statement. She sounds a little like a chipmunk when she laughs.

Anyway, during Thanksgiving at my grandparent's house, I overheard her shouting a story at somebody about vegetables. She was laughing and telling us all (at significant volume) that my grandmother made her eat everything on her plate when she was a kid.

It was the Brussels Sprouts! AAAAAHHHH!!!"... Even if I HATED it, she'd make me eat it! She made me eat all kinds of veggies, and it made me psychotic! Ha-huh-ha-huh-ha-huh-ha-huh-ha!"

I've known for a long time that Aunt Boomer was a tiny bit boisterous. I just never would have thought to blame it on cauliflower. I thought all Sooner fans were like that.

Anyway, that night we stayed with my mom and dad. So did a different Aunt / Uncle pair, and my 5 year old niece.

As my niece was preparing for bedtime, she announced that she wanted a fudgesicle. My uncle got one also. He was sitting next to her at the table. He finished, put down his popsicle stick and said to her, "I finished first. I win."

I will get medieval on your hinderHe was grinning from ear to ear, just trying to tease her a little. But my sweet (*cough*) little niece was not in a mood to be teased. She gave him a look that suggested very firmly he should go visit a hot place and stay there a long time. She put down her unfinished fudgesicle, picked up her teddy bear ("Mr. Bear") and marched off to bed.

Who knew she was so competitive? I hope she doesn't grow up to be a Sooner fan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home