Monday, May 05, 2008

Beach Music

I wish they all could be California GirlsFriday, Lightyear was talking to me about music. He has a great love of music from the 50's, especially "beach" music (The Beach Boys are an easy, obvious example). It's not exactly my bread and butter, but I have enjoyed that music on occasion, so we have a little common ground.

Later in the afternoon, I guess he decided to step it up a notch. He brought in some of his old LP's (that's "records", for you young pups) for me to see.

I'm big"Now Jeff," he drawled, "These are the *original* Compact Disks! You've never seen these big 'ole things, have you?"

"Actually yes," I replied. "I know what those are."

This stopped him for a moment. He blinked, trying to process the fact that I'm not *quite* as young as he thinks I am. Half a second later he decided to ignore that fact, and surged onward.

Jeff, as a kid"See, the way these used to work, is you'd put them on a record player and they'd spin, and ..."

"I know how that works, yeah." I interrupted. "I even had a record player when I was kid."

I didn't intend to be a kill-joy, but I had just eliminated half or more of Lightyear's story. He looked shocked. Then, as always, he rallied.

"Well, have you ever heard of *this* group?" I hadn't. Suddenly, Lightyear was in his element again. "See, they're a lot like the Beach Boys..."

And on it went. :)

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 11:05 AM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Does he know now that you were a music major in college? And that you know that record players won't plug directly into a line in since they are a phono output?

 
At 9:43 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

He knows that I was a music major, yeah. He even asked me once how to convert his records to CD. I enthusiastically suggested one of those all-in-one things that burns the CD while the record is playing. He realized that if he did that, he wouldn't have to actually interact with a computer at all, and agreed instantly. Lightyear is not the "techie" type. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home