Thursday, May 15, 2008

Techie Treasures

Moving can be a wonderful excuse to go through your junk and pitch a bunch of it. What follows is a collection of some of the "treasures" I found while cleaning out boxes of stuff from my office.

No comment.Up first is a deck of playing cards from my old job. I guess it was supposed to be a cute marketing tool, but looking back on it all I can think of is Saddam's face on the Ace of Spades. That's probably not the effect they were going for.

Don't even get me *started* on the mouse!Up next is this helpful how-to on one of the trickier aspects of computing. Ah, keyboard, my old foe... we meet again.

Follow proper disposal procedures.The text on this one says, "HP Copier/Printer Bags n' Stuff". Now, I know I tend to be a bit *ahem* "retentive", but this even surprised me. Not only did I keep all the plastic bags from my Copier/Printer, but I also helpfully labeled them. And then, I didn't use a single one of them when we moved. But at least I wasn't hauling around random pieces of plastic (which would have been nutty). No, I was carrying around *specifically labeled* pieces of plastic.

I wonder if I ever registered this?I love this one... I have most of my old MS-DOS installation disks. How do I know that I have *most*, but not *all*? Because I'm a nerd, that's why. Notice that this is a DOS 6.2 Upgrade... the base installation disks are lost to the sands of time.

However, I still have the manual! So if I can ever find the base install disks, then I can relive the glory days! And wowie, this thing was *thick*. There must have been an art to writing tech manuals back then, is all I can figure.

I probably read every page of this silly thing, too.I also have my old Windows 3.1 installation disks, as well as the instruction manual. It's just a tiny bit thinner than the DOS manual.

For reasons I'm not sure I can fathom, I kept the old DOS and Windows 3.1 stuff. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home