Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I Went To A Fight And A Hockey Game Broke Out

It was the Mudbugs, can you believe it? We lost to a team named 'Mudbug'? Good grief.Friday night we went to see the Tulsa Oilers play ice hockey against somebody. I'm sure the opponent had some kind of a name, but I'll just call them the "Winners" to save time.

The game was at the new BOK Center in downtown Tulsa.

We went with my wife's mom n' dad, plus her brother and his wife. Before the game, we all took a moment to share our hockey knowledge. 8 seconds later, it was established that we all knew the players have to stick the puck somewhere to score.

During the game we learned that there are three referees. These are apparently fans who paid extra because "ring-side" wasn't close enough to the action for them. Sometimes they'd blow a whistle and then throw the puck at a player's foot. They seemed to serve no other purpose. Miraculously, there were no broken toes.

I was far enough away from Sis-In-Law that I couldn't see what beverage she was consuming. I can make an assumption though, based on how much fun she seemed to be having at the end of the game. She embraced The Chicken Dance with much enthusiasm and started yelling "Fight! Fight!" even when they weren't fighting.

PszenycznyMy mother-in-law leaned over to me and pointed out #17 on the other team. The back of his jersey said "Pszenyczny". "Can you pronounce that?" she asked. "I'd rather not," I replied. She cackled like sis-in-law after a nasty hit. I wonder if somebody spiked her Dippin' Dots.

When we walked back to our cars afterword, sis-in-law was still chanting "Fight! Fight!" Thankfully, no one took her up on the offer.

1 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Blogger V said...

I am officially jealous. Even watching the Oilers lose (which is VERY typical this season as they suck pretty badly) is better than not watching hockey. (sulk)

Oh, and it's pronounced "Pszenyczny" with an Eh! at the end, as he's from the frozen north where they say things like that. (firm nod) What, you think they grow bad hockey players in Oklahoma?

As a side note, to my sanity and ability to drink at hockey games - I personally have never embraced the chicken dance. Ever.

Blog says phytings, which may possibly mean it likes hockey too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home