Friday, February 27, 2009

The Violence Of American Humor

I've been reading a book by William Keough called "Punchlines: The Violence Of American Humor".

I know you find it hard to believe that I would be interested in such a thing. :)

Well, despite the promising title, it's really more of a "history" book, so in that regard I'm a bit disappointed. However, with regard to unintentional hilarity, I submit to you the introduction to chapter one:

The Violence Of American HumorI know that text is hard to read... the bit I'm pointing out reads, "God is not evil. But the best you can say for Him is that He's an underachiever." -- Woody Allen

The part that got me is that little smudge mark... some well-meaning God-Defender has scratched out the word "best" and penciled in "worst". Clever, right? Now Mr. Allen is paying God a compliment. I'm sure that's what he really meant to say, if he'd just thought about it a bit.

I think back to all the great moments in Christian history... Martin Luther nailing his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the All Saints' Church in Rome, Mother Teresa's Nobel Peace Prize in 1979, and of course our anonymous vandal defacing a library book. I get misty-eyed just thinking about it.

Call me crazy, but I think there are better ways to serve God than mis-quoting departed *demented comedians. :)


* UPDATE... apparently I wish Woody Allen was dead. I had no idea I was so violent. ;)

5 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Departed?...

Departed from sanity perhaps. But... um... Woody Allen is sadly still around...

Not, you know, that it has anything whatsoever to do with your point.

But then I'm probably the anti-point in any case.

Code word: derat

 
At 8:47 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

LOL! Oops. :)

Um... I don't know what I was thinking. I wrote this a week ago. :) I'd claim temporary insanity, but I think we all know my craziness is here to stay.

 
At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you're gonna start killing off comedians, Woody Allen is as good a place to start as any. Although Personally I'd start with Will Farrell and work my way though his crowd.

Maybe you could declare a genocide on mimes?

 
At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's it. You crazy right-wing evangelical Christians are all alike with your anti-semetic hate speech. Or is it anti-Hollywood?

Oh, today's code word is typodys. I assume that means that you're not really an anti-semite, just an occasionally careless proofreader.

Nevermind. Proceed with your violent hilarity.

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger MetaCow said...

How come there are no anti-Hamites or anti-Japhethites? Why does Shem get all the love.. er.. or hate, as it were?

secret word: croctien
Keeping your crocodile smooth and supple since 1923.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home