Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Danger

Now that the shuttle bus no longer runs from the parking lot to the office, I find myself exploring a bit, trying to find the best route to walk during my commute-after-the-commute.

Behold the crushed soda can... of justice!One of the routes I walk is mostly flat (my other route takes me across a bridge). It avoids the "wind tunnel" effect caused by the tall buildings at a nearby intersection. It walks me near the new-ish BOK Center, which is kinda cool. However, it also crosses some railroad tracks, and walks me past a night club where people have been shot.

Stop looking for my cabooseOne morning I was walking that route and a train came through. I was standing and waiting for the train to finish crossing when there was a massive metallic crashing noise. The train stopped.

A few minutes passed. The train showed no signs of moving. There I was, on foot, in the somewhat disreputable northern extremes of downtown, with a train blocking me at the front and a seedy nightclub at my rear.

I suddenly realized that I am scrawny and white. Most annoying. Deep down I've always known, but suddenly it seemed like pretty important knowledge.

I quickly made my way back and took a different route into work, grateful that the nightclub didn't open for another 9 hours or so. Very kind of them.

I may not be cut out for urban life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home