Wednesday, February 09, 2011

I Made Snowballs In Scruffy's Attic

Lemmie 'splain.



Like most of Oklahoma, we were snowed in for a lot of last week. My region here averages around 9 inches of snow each winter... we had 15 inches in the yard, with 21 inch drifts.

Scruffy called. "My ceiling is leaking! Help!"

Now, I don't know who *you* call first when you have potential roof damage, but I bet it's not me. However, with roads so desperately clobbered, I was the best Scruffy could manage.

I walked the couple of blocks over to his house. He showed me the leaky room. "Do you think it's the roof?" I know just enough about roofs to know that it could be anything from an Ice Dam to a "Whoops, sorry, your roof has turned to tofu and will need to be replaced".

"Can you go up in the attic and find the leak?"

He wasn't exactly asking an expert, but there were no alternatives. Up we went.

We found snow in Scruffy's attic. It had blown in through his roof vent. "Can we get that outta here?", Scruffy asked. "We need to, but how?" Scruffy pondered this. "Walmart sacks and spoons?"

Even now, nearly a week later, I have no response for that.

We eventually opt'ed for a Shop Vac. There was enough snow that we plugged up the Shop Vac and had to resort to grabbing lumps by hand.

While we were working, my cell phone rang. I couldn't resist. I answered and said, "I'm up in a neighbor's attic!"

"Um... why?" I grinned. "They're making out. I'm watchin'."

Scruffy laughed so hard that he put a foot through his ceiling.

Lesson learned: Blizzards in Oklahoma stink, and Jeff is better at roofs than you think. But not by much.

3 Comments:

At 12:00 PM, Blogger V said...

My first thought was that this Scruff was hard up looking to you for help.
Then, as I read, I realized about the point of the Walmart Sack & Spoons that you were the one with the home improvement clue.

Then, in a burst of enlightenment (or possibly snow blindness), the dream lives! I'm opening a sand bar on my tropical oasis, funded by embezzling from the home improvement inept.

In honor of Scruffy, I have added to my drink menu with "Snowball in the Attic" A vodka laced snow cone, drizzled with tropical fruit punch, Grenadine and blue Curacao. Topped with a tuft of pink cotton candy "insulation" and served, appropriately, with a spoon.

The blog says "holiohmyG", with a capital G. It is all the confirmation I need. :)

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

ROFL

 
At 1:31 PM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

Home Improvement Genius!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home