Wednesday, December 05, 2012

You Can Call Me Al

OK, first of all, if you are not familiar with the classic Paul Simon song "You can call me Al", then you need to stop everything and educate yourself.



OK, now we can continue.

We had a big department meeting a while back, and Cowboy tried to give M16 an affectionate nickname. He just basically took the first syllable of M16's last name and said "The" in front of it. It would be like calling me "The Mac".

It went over like a Snickers bar in a swimming pool.

Later, M16 was talking to Big Dawg about the nickname fiasco. I didn't hear most of what was discussed, but I figured I could butt in and provide some expertise anyway.

"Just ask him to call you M16", Big Dawg was suggesting. I walked by and pointed. "I can call you Betty," I offered, while M16 gaped at me in shock. "And Betty, when you call me you can call me Al."

By the end of that phrase I was joined by a chorus of my co-workers all shouting, "... you can CALL!... ME!... AL!" It was great.

And M16 was mystified. "What are you all talking about?"

P-Ziddy tried to help him out. "Paul Simon. Call me Al?"

"I've never heard of that one."

It was my turn for shock. "How young are you, anyway? Have you hit double digits yet? Has your voice changed? C'mon, boy!"

We pushed M16 into a chair and made him watch the video. "It's even got Chevy Chase in it, back when he was cool."

"Chevy Chase was cool?"

*sigh*

Kids these days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home