Wednesday, September 06, 2006

But What About...?

Old TVOK, before I begin this one you'll have to bear with me as I describe one of my compulsive behaviors. The TV in our living room never remembers that it's been muted once you turn it off. Therefore, when turning this TV on, it is a given that there will be at least *some* volume.

I have, over the years, developed the habit of turning on the TV and immediately hitting the "mute" button. It's an older TV, so the picture takes a while to warm up and appear on the screen.

My wife was sitting on the couch, looking at something on the coffee table. I picked up the remote, and pressed the button. I didn't hit mute quite fast enough, so we got a burst of sound from the TV. It was fairly loud, and the exact quote was, ...

It's OK because it's ART"...but what about nudity..."

At that point, I hit mute and fell over laughing. My wife was in a similar condition. The TV screen was still black, it had happened so fast. Turns out, the TV was left on CNN Headline News. The story had something to do with a protest in the state of Vermont. My wife tried to find the story online, but neither of us were wild about the idea of typing "Vermont" and "nudity" into a search engine.

UPDATE - Since writing this, my wife has dicovered this related story that you might find amusing.

7 Comments:

At 1:46 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

Jeff may be the only one to get this but....


"You may well be sentenced to NUDITY!!!"

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger queen_spoo said...

What? Not *TOHR_CHOHR*?

 
At 3:58 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Actually, I must admit that I don't get either of those comments, although I suspect that Metacow's is a MST3K reference.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger MetaCow said...

MST3K - "Teenagers from Outer Space" - The oldest teenager, probably in his early 40s, was obsessed with TORTURE. Tom, I believe, kept making the comment, "But what about TORTURE?!?!?" every time he would speak. Early on, one of his lines was, "You may well be sentenced to TORTURE."

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

All is made clear now. I can't believe it didn't even occur to me to try and pronouce Queen Spoo's comment. I am filled with shame.

I'm gonna have to dig out that old episode and give it a spin.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger queen_spoo said...

Yes, what a grand episode.

"Sit, Stay." - after dog has been vaporized for barking at the "teenagers"

"Moses, Moses!" - after tree is caught aflame after a "teenager" shoots it with his laser gun thingy and the earthling is running away...

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

Now I have to watch it as well. Curse you all.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home