Monday, September 04, 2006

Rough Start To Weekend

NCAASaturday was rough. For those who don't know, I've been working the past couple of weeks on processing a live XML data feed that contains up-to-the-minute NCAA game scores and statistics. This data is then sent to our website, where the data relating to the Oklahoma teams is displayed. We are... how to put this mildly?... not quite where we need to be yet.

If any of you ever have a chance to work with a live XML data feed... well, contact me before you get too far into it. We'll commiserate, and I'll try to save you some of the grief I got to experience. It's facinating stuff, it really is. It is also quite a learning curve.

Try Jamaica instead!Saturday, I was working on that dang thing from about 11:30AM to 9:30PM. Most of that time spent was in a panic. If you ever have a chance to spend 10 or more hours solid in a panic, I'd recommend that you just skip the country and start your life over in Jamaica instead.

Once the games were over and the crisis averted, I collapsed. I've never been that apathetic in my life. Around midnight, my wife got up and started whisper-shouting at me, "There's people on our porch!"

"OK", I replied. I didn't even bother to roll over.

"There's people ... ON! ... OUR! ... PORCH! What do we do?!?"

"Let me know if they make it into the living room."

As it turns out, the people were just at the wrong apartment. They left and knocked on a neighbor's door.

My wife is an angelAnd after such a hideous day and a scary night, my wife did eventually forgive me. I hearby nominate her for sainthood.

2 Comments:

At 11:43 AM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

Wow, what a day! Just remember back to the days of aqueduct transition to the first Ecom! Only you can compare them!

Em, I can only sympathize, but at your place I don't think you have anything to really worry about.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger queen_spoo said...

Man, feel sorry for you!

Hope they paid overtime!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home