Monday, January 15, 2007

Week-End-Ish-Ness

This weekend, the skies opened up and ice cubes fell out. What fun. I really dislike it when ice is all white. It looks like snow. It ain't snow. Not even close.

Jeff On Ice

Friday I left work early. I'm very glad I did... the roads were starting to get slick even then.

Where The Sidewalk Ends

There is a pathetic short little sidewalk that leads from our apartment to the parking lot. It's maybe 10-15 yards total length.

This thing was mostly clear an hour ago (Sunday morning pic)Friday evening, I shoveled that thing. I figured, "Sure, more is coming, but at least it won't be as thick here."

Saturday afternoon, you couldn't tell where I'd shoveled. Not even a little. So, I did it again. Mostly. Toward the bottom of that sidewalk, the ice was really thick. The activity had ceased to feel like fun invigorating exercise. Instead, it felt like I was getting punched repeatedly in the right shoulder by a truck. I gave up.

Sunday morning, after 10 hours of exhausted sleep (I usually get around 6), I had coffee and Advil. I felt GREAT! Sore shoulder? What sore shoulder? [stretch]... oh... *that* sore shoulder. Ahem.

I ended up shoveling that sidewalk a third time on Sunday. Arg.

On The News

News stations around my area started showing scrolling text that said, "Due to the volume of church closings, we are not able to list them all individually." I was impressed.

When I think of solid layers of ice, I am reminded of warm breadAlso, at one point a weather guy started drawing on his weather map. He circled a long area, and then drew lines across it. He wasn't even talking about that particular area when he did the drawing. It looked like a loaf of french bread. I have no idea what the point was.

Today

Today is Monday, and I've made it into work. The roads were rough, though. I'll probably leave early again.

2 Comments:

At 7:36 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

You made it to work? I can't even get out of the driveway! It is 4.5 inches of solid ICE.. I put down over 10lbs of icemelt and it is still there! I don't know what I'm going to do tomorrow.....

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Yeah, I made it to and from work without too many problems. Of course, our parking lot is pretty much flat, and most of my trip to work is highway driving.

We've been lucky. No power outtages, no car problems. Most of the rest of my family has had to buy generators so they can heat their houses. Electricity has been out in Mayes county for days now. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home