Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Calculator

I have not forgotten what day this is.Yesterday while I was sitting at my desk, a young lady came by our office. She stopped at my desk, and asked if I had a calculator.

"Well," I said, and pointed at my computer, "I'm sitting in front of one."

She laughed, with a disappointed "I-was-afraid-of-that" look on her face. "I was hoping you'd have a spare hand-held one I could borrow."

2 + 2 = 5, for very large values of 2From behind the nearby cubical wall arose the voice of the Farmer. "We don't deal in antiques."

After she left, it occurred to me that I do in fact have a hand-held calculator. It's just that it's also my phone. She can't borrow it.

Bonus Story: A Spanish Week

Hola!I have a widget on my Google homepage that shows me the "Spanish Word Of The Day." Check this out.

The word was "a principios de", which means "at the beginning of".

The Spanish example sentence was: Llegaremos a principios de marzo y nos quedaremos 15 días.

Please note that bit at the end. "días" is "days". The phrase ends with "15 days".

zzzzzz....Now check out the English translation: We'll arrive at the beginning of March and stay for two weeks.

15 days = 2 weeks? That would mean that a Spanish week is 7 and a half days? They must be counting the siestas as extra. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home