Tuesday, November 04, 2008

History

Saturday we went to a WWII historical event ("World War II: A Day of Living History"), put on by the 45th G Company. Same basic idea as last year, with some different speakers and artifacts. Oh, and this time I got to ride in one of the jeeps.

That's right. A 60-year-old army jeep. No shocks, no seat belts, NO PROBLEM!

Cat's hubby owns the jeep... you can see him in the pic with a couple of random kiddos. He drove me down South Yale ave.

It was a fantastic experience. A bit terrifying, but still fantastic. We'd hit a bump, my hinder would leave the seat and my life would flash before my eyes. I got used to it though, and by the end I wasn't even screaming much.

The best parts were the stoplights. A car would pull up next to us, and the driver would slowly look us up and down. When their eyes hit me, it was pretty obvious what they were thinking. "Authentic jeep, authentic-looking driver... what's with the nerd?"

When he parked the jeep I fell out and started kissing the ground. I hope he doesn't have much trouble removing the stains from his passenger seat.

So there you have it. I have ridden in an authentic World War 2 Army Jeep. I even lived to tell the slightly exaggerated tale. Yay me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home