Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Error!

I'm magic on the 'micREMINDER: Don't forget about Photoshop Jeff! This preview is from me... I've got two other submissions, but I really don't want to show off either of them early because they are so good. :)

=====================

It's easy for many folks to forget that their computer wasn't "born" knowing how to run Windows. The programs, games, and web browsers that we're all used to weren't easy to create just because they are familiar now. At some point, nearly every piece of software that you run was created by a living, breathing person. The only exception is Linux, which was not created. It was belched out of the third circle of hades after the devil ate a salmonella-infested PBJ.

But I digress.

I saw this error featured recently. Apparently, the programmer who created this imagined a "crash" scenario but didn't think it would ever actually happen.

Inconceivable!

It reminded me of this old error I saw featured many moons ago. This programmer must have been a bit sleep-deprived. I couldn't find a pic of the error, so I recreated it here:

Loosely translated, 'that certain something'

There was a system I worked on at my previous job that was used to tell customers their rebate status. I talked it over with the Rebate Manager, who told me, "Condition 1 means their rebate is being processed. 2 means it has been denied. 3 means..." and so on.

I completed the pages for our web site and put it into use. A customer called almost immediately to complain. It seems that I didn't get all of my incomplete 'test' code out of the way. When the customer asked our web site what his rebate status was, the site replied:

"Whatever".

Even though it was practically company policy to be apathetic about the customers, it most definitely was NOT company policy to be honest with them about it. :)

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering the customer would have gotten the exact same response had he/she called in, I choose to believe you were just providing a consistent customer experience.

THAT'S good customer service right there. Bravo!

Richard Branson should take notice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home