Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Spiky Weeds

Plant poison makes me happyI am a low-impact gardener. I want things to look nice, but I'm not willing to spend time on my hands and knees digging around for weed roots. I like chemicals.

So, every once in a while, I'll wander through the yard with a big spray bottle of "Chlorophyll-Nuker". My aim's gotten good, so I don't even have to bend over much. This is *my* kind of lawn care.

Do ya feel lucky... punk?Recently I saw a pretty large clump of "broad leaf" weeds. I broke my pattern, and reached down to pull it.

Did you know some broad leaf weeds have spiky bits all over them? Really *really* sharp spiky bits?

My hand hurt for a full day after that.

I am nothing if not irrationally vengeful. I started by spraying the weed generously. Two days later, the leaves were curling upward in a slow display of defeat. I sprayed them again. I probably used about half the spray bottle.

Two days after that, the leaves were pointing upward alarmingly. It was as if the weed had thrown its hands up in surrender. I was not feeling benevolent, even then. I dug the weed up out of the ground. Then I sprayed the hole that had spawned it. Then I spit in it, cursed it, and packed it with old shoelace.

Now I make a habit of walking by the bare spot in the lawn and smiling. It makes me happy.

Never cross me.

13 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

McClung. Jeff McClung. Weed Assassin.

Code word of the day:
redingl

I'm so not going there.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger V said...

Give him a black suit and he could be McClung, Jeff McClung. Weed Ninja.

blog says thygooded which could mean that the blog dislikes weeds, likes phil or thinks you would make a haphazard ninja.

:D

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Hm. I'm not sure, but I do know that if you pluralize your last idea, you've got a kickin' band name.

"Haphazard Ninjas!"

 
At 1:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weed Ninja. Wow.

Trained in the mountains of Southeastern Oklahoma by stoned rednecks. No stash is safe.

Weed Ninja would also make a good band name.

Code Word:
pheer

Ph33r teh w33d, Jeff.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger V said...

I could leave this alone. And I most likely should as it will quickly get out of control.

I'm not gonna though. As the blog has given me the code word kahjones

Jeff's got Weed Ninja Kahjones. Or maybe his weeds have Ninja kahjones. In that case, you should definitely "Ph33r teh w33d".

 
At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weed Ninja Pants!

Remember. Ninjas can't catch you when you're on fire.

 
At 1:30 PM, Blogger V said...

Fortunately for Jeff the burn ban for his county was just listed.

blog says squeee

 
At 1:36 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

"Squeee!" may be the happiest word I've heard in a long while. I can easily picture it as a jubilant shout.

"Hey kids, Santa brought presents!"
"Squeee!"

"Congratulations. You're getting a raise this year."
"Squeee!"

"You may now kiss the bride."
"Squeee!"

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger V said...

Or perhaps in the blog's case...

"You may now light Jeff on fire!"
"Squeee!"

Blog says unzip

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Jeff just wanted to get off the topic of Weed Ninjas...

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weed Ninjas scare the squee out of me

 
At 3:20 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

As long as Jeff's hinder isn't the one spraying the weed killing substances.

I see a weed ninja going round the yard excreting chemicals to kill the weeds leaving brown patches all over the yard......

 
At 4:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey, I've done my fair share of weed killing lately. I even smell like the weeds.

Anyone want to donate to the weed fund? That spray is expensive!

Emily

 

Post a Comment

<< Home