Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Walking

My wife and I were walking in our neighborhood when we passed by a car in somebody's driveway. The car had lettering on the rear window that amused the heck out of me. There were people around, so I couldn't snap a picture... forgive the crude recreation.

Walking for a cure... Running for the border... Standing for understanding...

There's so much to love here beyond the obvious irony. The pathetic little smiley face is a definitely a winner. There's also no mention of what is being cured... Baldness? Hurricanes? Dane Cook? The truth eludes me.

But I keep going back to the delicious irony of putting a "walking" message on the back of a car. You don't see bicycle messages on the backs of Harleys and you don't see Weight Watchers ads in McDonald's.

Somewhere there's an overweight guy coagulating on his couch surrounded by half-empty beer cans and cuddling his TV remote. He's wearing a Gold's Gym t-shirt, and if he ever saw "Walking for a cure" on a car's back window, he wouldn't get the irony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home