Monday, August 10, 2009

Overseas Visitor

The moon always looks like this in Japan. Always.My buddy Midnight Brewer is an old college friend who's been living in Osaka for the past 7 or 8 years. He came back to visit, so we got to join him and Metacow's family for dinner.

Midnight Brewer is a teacher over in Japan, and he told us this great story (which I will shorten a bit and almost certainly miss on a few details). It seems that one of the teachers at a local school got into trouble with the school board over something stupid. It was a minor thing, but the school board was 'ticked and wanted to make an example of him.

The teacher went to the board (his principal came along for moral support). The teacher humbly explained what had happened, and earnestly said that he intended no offense. As a show of his sincerity, he brought a gift for the school board... a stone from the top of Mount Fuji. He graciously offered his gift to the board and put himself at their mercy.
Seen one stone, seen them all
The board was impressed. They accepted his gift, and pardoned his actions. As the teacher left, his principal (also deeply impressed) said, "Wow... was that stone really from the top of Mount Fuji?" "No," the teacher replied. "I picked it up here, just before we went inside."

Outstanding.

I thought it tasted like the feather-down pillow of eternal sugary fluff, but that's just meLater in the meal, we got a piece of tiramisu for desert. Forks were distributed, and we all took a bite.

Metacow's oldest daughter (8) was impressed. "Daddy, it tastes like a cloud!" Metacow chuckled and said, "Really? I've never tasted a cloud. What does a cloud taste like?"

He never heard her answer. Instead, his youngest daughter (4) chimed in. "*I* think it tastes like angel wings!"

Please... not my wings... I need them...Conversation was disrupted, to say the least. Just as the laughter started to subside, Midnight Brewer chimed in with a very sincere-sounding question. "How do you harvest angel wings?"

Metacow didn't miss a beat. "You know, down at the angel farms in Arkansas."

Wow. Angel farms in Arkansas. I say this a lot when I'm around Metacow... I just can't top that. :)

1 Comments:

At 1:34 PM, Blogger MetaCow said...

I have to tell you that despite her size, V is almost 6, not 4. I will spare you her wrath and won't tell her you got it wrong. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home