Monday, August 17, 2009

Tulsa Drillers Game

Last week we went to a Tulsa Drillers (minor league baseball) game. It was the first time I'd been to a baseball game since that time when I was a little kid and I fell out of the stands. I crash-landed on my hot dog but don't worry, that's not a euphemism. I wasn't hurt, but I remember crying because I'd gotten grass and dirt all over my ballpark frank.

Somebody go help P-Ziddy, will you? I'm willing to bet he's hyperventilating by now.

Anyway, this game was far less physically damaging to me. Despite appearances, I was not the only one in the stands:

It was a cool evening... who needs fans?

One of the Driller's players is named "Jeff", and he hit a home run during this game. It was pretty sweet... I wore a big goofy grin and told anybody who'd listen that I just hit a home run. It's amazing what people won't believe.

Of course, no thinly attended game is complete without the rhythm-less folks in the stands somehow failing to "stomp! stomp! clap!" in time with the beat even though the loudspeakers were actively playing "We will rock you" at the time. I was pretty impressed... I hadn't seen incompetence like that in some time.

Speaking of incompetence, there was the obligatory running of the mascots:

For the record, that is not my hot dog... or my egg roll... or my collapsing mustard stick

Toward the end one of the opposing batters hit a fly ball that went up and backwards, eventually crashing down loudly on the covered "roof" over the top of the stands. The stands were already emptying out at that point, so the metallic crashing noises were especially loud.

The very next pitch he also hit up onto the roof of our stands. By then the crowd was thin and quiet enough that lots of people heard me shout, "Why do you hate our roof?!?"

Not free.I gotta be me.

As we left some guys were handing out Arby's coupons. During the walk to our car, I heard a lady behind us happily telling her husband, "Look! A FREE Arby's roast beef! It's only $1.99!"

Sometimes the joke just kinda writes itself, you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home