Friday, September 18, 2009

The Time I Almost Worked For Wal-Mart

Get your stuff and get outSomebody (I don't remember who) recently mentioned the dangers of wearing blue while shopping at Wal-Mart. Apparently she had multiple people come up to her and ask for assistance.

It reminded me of two stories. My brother-in-law wore red at Target once. Customers harassed him, and the cashier asked to see his employee discount card.

And then there was the time I almost worked for Wal-Mart. Sorta.

I was in college, so the differences between night and day meant far less than than they do now. It was 3 AM, and I went to Wal-Mart.

The first thing that struck me was that the customers looked a *lot* rougher and meaner than the normal crowd. Many of them glared at me with open hate in their eyes. I began to fear for my safety.

Visual Aid. You're welcome.I went to the aisle I needed. There were a couple of rough-looking guys who were kicking a "Hand Pallet Truck" and cursing loudly at each other, the product shelves, some empty boxes, me, and literally everything else around them.

As I looked for whatever it was I was hoping to buy, a manager came over to the aisle. "You two, get to work!", he shouted at the malcontents. They grumbled and started pushing the hand truck toward the back of the store. He looked at me next. "You too! Lazy idiot! Get to work!"

It was then that I realized Wal-Mart had no dress code for its employees at 3 AM.

I grabbed my item and pushed past the manager. "Shove it. I quit."

It felt good. :)

1 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous P-Ziddy said...

And I bet you STILL haven't received your final paycheck. Cheap bastards.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home