Thursday, November 19, 2009

The Volunteers

OK, I'm naming them and mocking them a bit... least I can do is link to them :)A group of us from the office went out to lunch recently. Midway though our meal, OoRah noticed a large table being set up near us. It had a cheesy paper centerpiece that said, "Welcome AT&T volunteers."

OoRah was confused. "OK, so I understand non-profit groups having volunteers," he said. "But how does a for-profit corporation manage it?"

We were musing over the potential savings to our company if we could get the Advertising department to "volunteer", when the anticipated crew walked in.

I forgot... which one of us is named 'Maxine'?It was 15 little old ladies. The youngest was at least 60. Every one of them had white floofy hair. They were all wearing identical AT&T t-shirts.

At this point, I will turn the dialog over to a co-worker I've never written about before. I will simply call him "Genius", for reasons that should be obvious shortly. These are all (as best I can remember) direct quotes.

"Wow! That's why it takes an hour to activate a phone! They forget what they're doing, think they're talkin' to themselves..."

"Hello Deary... I forgot what we were talking about."

"Oh, that's so nice. I have four grandchilden named after you. Where am I again?"

"What time is it over there? Really? Hold on a minute... Time to take my medicine..."


We were in tears. It was beautiful. On top of everything else, his warbly "little old lady" voice was perfect.

I can't top any of that, so I'm not even going to try. :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home