Monday, August 09, 2010

Minor Celeb Sighting: OSU Women's Basketball

My wife and I went out to dinner over the weekend. At the next table over, we saw Kurt Budke, coach of the Oklahoma State University Woman's Basketball team.

I don't know who you're talking aboutIt was clearly him, not a look-alike. He had his wife and kids, plus his parents (or his in-laws). They brought their own monogram'ed orange Pistol Pete napkins. He was wearing OSU apparel, and the waitresses happily curtsied and called him, "Lord Budke".

We were impressed. As you all know, OSU Women's Basketball is the soul of my brief and otherwise dark existence. We went over to his table and introduced ourselves.

Sit. Stay."I don't know who you're talking about," he claimed. There was a place card in front of him that said, "K. Budke". "That's not me," he said, unconvincingly. "We're squatters."

"C'mon, I just want an autograph." I was desperate. "I'll give you a quarter."

"Sorry, but my right hand is broken and immobile."

I looked down. He was dribbling a basketball under the table. "That's not *my* hand," he insisted.

Eventually we gave up. Later when he put his credit card down to pay, I leaned over and pointed. The name on the card was T. Boone Pickens.

I have pepper spray... I know how to use it..."It's my maiden name," he said.

I finally got the lady two tables over to sign my napkin. I wanted an autograph, and by golly I got one!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home