Friday, November 05, 2010

Noon

The phone rang. It was noon. I knew who was calling even before I looked down at the caller ID.

I picked up and didn't even bother saying hello. "This is the third day in a row that you've called me at noon."
Called? At noon? I was nappin'...

Web Ninja sputtered. "Really?"

"On the dot, yes."

"But... how?..."

"Two days ago I wasn't at my desk but you left a message. Yesterday I was here but eating lunch so I ignored your call. Today you got lucky."

Web Ninja wasn't expecting to be viciously attacked with uncomfortable truth. Faced with his own failings, he responded with admirable eloquence.

"Oh."

"I just thought I'd point out your oddities to you," I continued. "Noon is when most people eat lunch. Mid-day and whatnot."

It. Will. Be. EPIC.
"I don't each lunch," Web Ninja countered. "I'm a robot."

"Right."

If he is actually mechanized, then he should settle into a new pattern now that I've disrupted his old one. I wonder what it'll be? Daily mid-afternoon smoke signals? Hand-written haiku's on pink Hello Kitty notepaper slid under my cubical wall in the wee hours of each morning? Regular bathing?

It should be interesting.

2 Comments:

At 7:59 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Re-reading, that last joke is a little more mean-spirited than I usually roll. For the record, all of the "new pattern" suggestions are jokes, not *actual* suggestions. :)

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Michael Damboldt said...

Beware my clean shaven, daily bathed robot wrath, Monkeyman.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home