Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Nicknames / Cups

You Can't Choose Your Nickname

At the office, we were having a conversation about nicknames. Somebody mentioned how rough childhood nicknames could be. Big Dawg said, "The last time I told somebody a childhood nickname of mine, they started using it. Never again."

It's not a good nickname unless it brings you shame
Somebody else asked where the nicknames come from on my blog. Web Ninja said, "You don't get to choose your nickname. You're at Jeff's mercy."

I nodded and agreed. "You should never pass up an opportunity to nickname somebody." To illustrate my point, I gestured toward Big Dawg and said: "Gladys."

Everybody laughed and Big Dawg admitted, "That's not as bad as the names from childhood."

If anyone reading this knew Big Dawg when he was a kid... I have to know. Please.

=====================

Sippie Cups

Insert humorous caption here
Big Dawg ordered a "customized insulated tumbler"... it's a double-walled drinking glass with the Oklahoma State University logo on the front and his name on the back.

He was thrilled when the package came. He pulled out the orange "sipper" lid with delight, but the next item wasn't orange. It was pink.

It was a pink tumbler, with the Missouri Tigers logo on it. It had somebody else's initials on the back.

When he described the atrocity to me and OoRah, I couldn't help but grin. "So you're saying that you bought an over-priced pink sippie-cup?"

OoRah (father with several girls) piled on. "Pink sippie cups? I've got a whole pile of those back home you can have."

Big Dawg turned him down, but I'm still kinda considering it. I could drink my coffee from a pink sippie cup. It would be interesting to see how people react to that. :)

5 Comments:

At 2:09 PM, Anonymous iCanSpell said...

Red Envelope is selling nickname coffee mugs. I didn't pay much attention to them, but, in light of your post, I now want to order some random nicknames for people.

Bonus, secret word is subean, which I'm sure has comething to do with the magical coffee bean.

 
At 2:12 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

Subean was *my* nickname in school!

*chuckle*... yeah, right...

 
At 9:01 AM, Blogger LadyPatsFan said...

Actually, the smart people nickname themselves before they do or say something blog-worthy. It's just better that way.

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger V said...

Zid and I possibly know Andrew's true childhood nickname. We believe we once discussed it. It has long since been hidden in the annals of time, under a large heap of dust bunnies, who have since gained sentience and formed a collective.

The dusty nose wiggling is disturbing on a whole new level. (firm nod)

We decided to save ourselves a great deal of pain and suffering and just call him "Mauri" It's my blogword and we figure it's probably best.

:)

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

"Mauri"... I like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home