Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Sound The Alarm

I has a grumpy
Why is it that smoke detectors never go "low battery" during daylight hours?

We had a chirping incident at around 2:30 AM last week. We changed all the batteries but the stupid things kept chirping. I had a cold, it was the middle of the dang night, and replacing batteries didn't work. It was infuriating.

Finally, we (falsely) identified one of the detectors as defective and ripped it off the wall. The chirping stopped.

Two mornings later, the chirping started again.

You didn't think I'd use a Civil War pic here, did you?
I decided to take a "Scorched Earth" approach to things. I took every detector off the walls and pulled out all the batteries. The chirping didn't stop.

I learned something valuable during that angry, angry morning. Something that I will not soon forget.

I learned that we also have a carbon monoxide detector.

*sigh*

They hate me
At my old job ("the bad place") there was a full day of fire alarm testing that I can *still* hear in my nightmares. Back in May we had two full days of fire alarm testing here at my current job. And then at home last week, my smoke and carbon monoxide detectors double-teamed me to tears.

One of these days, one of these life-saving alarm whizzers is going to be the death of me.

3 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Amethyst Smith said...

I'm so sorry, that is horrible. It is terrible when things that are meant to save lives don't work isn't it? We had an alarm placed on our sliding glass door to our patio. When the alarm is on and the door opens, it lets out a terrifying scream, to scare the intruder and to warn us inside. Lately however, it seems to have not been working as...effectively. When we open the sliding door, the alarm gives off a soft bird like chirping. Because that will scare burglars away. :/

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger jeff.w.mcclung said...

*chuckle*

I can see it in my mind. "Awright, Lefty! Get over der and hold da window open. Iron Mike, you watch for da cops... I'll sneak in here and... What is dat noise? Is dat Tweety Boiyd?!? THEY'VE GOT A TWEETY RUN YOU FOOLS RUN!!!"

I suppose it could happen.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger Fyrebaugh said...

God I remember that fire alarm testing!! GAH! I also remember the metal detector designed to catch someone stealing from that old workplace, I had to take off my wedding ring to get through without an alarm.. Not to mention any belt with a metal buckle, keys, change anything......

 

Post a Comment

<< Home